With the warmer weather, we can now get riding our bikes outdoors too, see Indoor training.
Below is an overview of the regular rides available to HWCC riders:
- Sunday 0900 Guild Hall High Wycombe, Club run 50-60m with café stop (led by club captain average speed 15-17mph)
- Sunday 0859 Thame, Debutants run ~50m with café stop (led by Alasdair MacVarish average speed 13-15mph – return about 1300)
- Saturday 0859 Thame, Debutants run ~40m with café stop (led by Alasdair MacVarish average speed 13-15mph - return about 1200)
- Saturday 0900 Longwick Village Hall, Intermediate run 40-50m no café stop (led by various – check message board or Facebook average speed 17-18mph)
- Wednesday 0959 Lewknor – close to Juntion 6 M40, Group ride, 40-50m (led by Alasdair MacVarish average speed 13-15mph)
- Wednesday 1830 West Wycombe Village hall, Chain Gang, 25-30m (led by ‘various’ average winter speed 18mph, average summer speed 22mph)
With Superstars on the telly, and rain lashing against the windows, our thoughts naturally turn to training for the forthcoming season!
High Wycombe CC offers a variety of opportunities:
- Turbo training – Wednesday nights from 2nd January for 15 weeks. Start at 19:30. More details.
- Core fitness training – Whilst the turbo’s are whistling the core fitness brigade have relocated to Longburrow Hall, Stokenchurch, HP14 3TQ. Start time 19:45 prompt.
- Velodrome – inspired by Team GB? We have booked the Newport velodrome on 3rd February (contact Malcolm Freeman for details), and the Calshot velodrome on Sunday February 10th, Sunday March 10th and Saturday April 20th. Contact Alasdair MacVarish for further details and to book a place. Riders with no previous experience welcome on the Feb 10th session.
HWCC Turbo night - Every wed @ West Wycombe village hall
Turbo training starts at the Club room on Wednesday the 2nd of January 2013 at 7.30pm. It will be a 15 week programme, every Wednesday, leading up to the start of the evening league. We will, as per the last two years, follow a structured and progressive programme.
You will need your own turbo, but the Club has a few spare turbos which will be available each week. It’s worth, also, bringing (in order of priority) a heart rate monitor, towel, an electric fan and something to protect the wooden floor (old sheet/towel).
Cost will be £5 per each session. More details in attached pdf - Turbo training instructions
Saturday 11th February
Whilst the hardy Winter Series racers were strutting their stuff at the Hillingdon Ciruit, see report, a number of HWCC club members were taking advantage of Gordon’s foresight in booking the West Wycombe Village Hall for a morning of turbo training. Ably assisted by Margarest on tea and cakes, Gordon ran a tough endurance based session. The (indoor) riders completed a 90 minute training session with the useful diversion of some classic racing videos showing on the projector. With the weather turning warmer this is not likely to be repeated, this year, but it may be a useful club activity if the Siberian weather returns. Keep your eyes on the website and message board for updates. Contact Malcolm Binns if you can’t access the message board.
Sunday 12th February
A mix of Celts, Angles and Vikings descended on Calshot for a 4 hour training session at the tiny indoor velodrome. With such a powerful horde of riders, you’d be expecting some aggressive riding and fast sprints. The riders did not disappoint, with hard sprinting in all the race scenarios and notably James Hunt getting a personal best for the flying lap. Many thanks from all the riders to Alasdair and the excellent coach Keith Wilmott. A top quality session that left us all wanting more. Next sessions, for experienced riders, are on 11th March and 1st April. Contact Alasdair for further details.
The club has booked the West Wycombe Village Hall for Saturday (11th February) morning on a provisional basis. If the weather turns as cold as forecast tonight, or worst still if more snow hits us, then the roads tomorrow will be treacherous. Gordon has kindly offered to run a turbo training session on Saturday with emphasis on endurance work. Something like a 90 minute session which would be worth ~2 hours plus on the road. Timing will be from 9.30 am to around 11.30 am.
Please send Gordon an email or respond on the message board tonight so we have an idea of numbers. If there’s limited interest then the session will be cancelled, and the message board and website will be updated.
If you have a spare turbo then please bring it to the session, as the club only has 2 spares, and they will be issued on a first come first served basis.
Turbo training in West Wycombe
We had a bumper crowd last night at the Turbo Training session. Twenty five club members, and guests, braved the wintry conditions to get to West Wycombe Village Hall last night. This was the second in the ten week series, lead by club coach Dr Gordon Wright. More details available here.
All the club’s training sessions are proving a great success, with large numbers attending the, established year-round, core fitness session and a chain gang session also running. All these club training activities are on Wednesday night, centred in West Wycombe.
Be there early if you want to grab some space in the turbo or core training sessions!